Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Resolution

Write on my blog once a week.

It's New Year's Day and the only thing I want to do is sit in my bed with my new fluffy fluffy bedding that feels like a cloud in heaven, writing my resolutions and listening to Elton John's "Tiny Dancer." I even got $35 in iTunes gift cards for Christmas and I haven't used any of it yet because I am so obsessed with this one song. I also seriously day dream about my bed. Because it's so fluffy. I was at work yesterday and the only thing I wanted was to get back in bed. I kept asking people what they got for Christmas so that I could talk about my new bedding. I just kept wanting to bring it up. It's like I'm dating this new boy....but it's just a fluffy comforter and duvet and delicious purple sheets and exquisite pillows that aren't too flat but aren't too puffy.

Is that bad? That's it's 3:05pm on the first day of the year and I'm still in bed? It might be. I might be getting lazy.

I actually have decided that 2012, in a lot of ways, was a year of regression. Not in like, crucial ways. But in small ways where I can see myself getting looser about some things. Like spending money. I've become excellent at that. I'm a little bit addicted to wearing new clothes. As I was unpacking from my Christmas adventure in St. George I noticed how many clothes I really have---and how many of them were purchased in 2012. But....I love them. And I've gotten lazier about planning things. And going to the gym. And feeding myself. And keeping my room clean.

I just get so busy. I like to keep my social calendar full. And I like to always have something to do and people to see. That is also kind of an addiction of mine. Like, I didn't have a fulfilling day if I didn't build more relationships with more people. I'm such an extravert it's not even funny. Almost to the point of it being a weakness. Like, I can't handle being by myself for more that like a couple hours.

 But sometimes I get too busy. I want to have time to cook and work out and study interesting things and keep up with religious commitments.

Like, wouldn't it be awesome if I could go to work, go to the gym, get dinner on the stove, go shower, eat a delicious and healthy dinner, enjoy some fancy literature (while eating, mind you), and then begin the evening's social festivities? That would mean that gym and getting ready and dinner would have to happen before like 7pm, and there is literally not enough time for that. And then social events would have to end at like 9:30 so that I could (if I'm REALLY trying to be social and healthy) get to bed by like 10:30. I would need at least an hour for ideal scripture study and getting ready for bed procedures. But then this leaves no wiggle room. No time for roommate bonding, and no extra time for errands and/or other things that need to be done. And it totally cuts out the necessary travel time to Provo and back--- if that's the day's chosen social activity.

So this is my resolution. Focus on making time for all the things I want to do. Live a more balanced life with exercise, healthy eating, sleep, a budget, fancy literature, lotsa friends, spiritual enlightenment :), and family.

People always say you can't do it all. But I've always said that I CAN. I just have to focus, and I just have to try. And as Thomas Jefferson said, "the harder you work, the more luck you seem to have." And I'm interpreting "luck" as happiness and success--- the two things that I want most in this world. And gosh darn it, I get what I want.

1 comment:

lene b said...

to quote the 90's: you go, girl!

also. i love your new boyfriend, the bedsheets.