Saturday, January 12, 2013

Options

So yesterday. It was Friday night and for several days prior I had all the optional activities swirling around in my head. Couldn't decide what my plans would be:

1. Go to Provo to do my laundry at Stephanie's before and after seeing Les Mis with her. She still hasn't witnessed the wonder.

2. Hit up Trader Joe's for some Speculoos and tart frozen yogurt (and that yummy granola) and then go ice skating with Audrey and Jessica-- 2 of my most favorite hilarious people. They were going to come down from Provo.

3. Hang out with a boy.

And this is what ended up happening:

After getting off work early because of massive snow storm Gandolf (that is seriously what they called it--although it's spelled wrong. And now the mystery is finally solved-- this must be how he went from "the Grey" to "the WHITE." A whole lotta snow.), I made a frozen pizza and watched "This Means War." I was cold and tired and actually kind of scared of the snow. And Lauren was home eventually-- and she watched the movie with me. Around 6pm we both settled into spots on the chair-and-a-half and couch in our front room. She was reading a book and I was doing my nails, still trying to determine the evening's plans. And then she had a suggestion. A book suggestion. A book I should totally read. So she got it from her room and I started reading--as if on command--and forgot completely about doing my nails. I am currently typing with only a base coat. The book was so delightful that by page 2 I started reading passages aloud. Lauren told me to keep reading. She put her book away and then just laid there... watching me, listening. We paused now and then to answer texts (we tried to give our home teacher a booty call, for example) She got me a couple glasses of water, you know, because my throat was dry, from all the reading-aloud. We took an hour break to shovel our driveway and jump into the snow (to a not-so-soft landing despite the 15 inches of snow, mind you), and then we resumed the story.

And then suddenly it was 2:30AM and we were on page 235 and my throat muscles are actually sore from using them so much.

4 comments:

dani said...

okay that is just cruel. you are engrossed in an amazing book but YOU DON'T EVEN SAY WHAT IT IS?? i've been looking for a good book for years now! do share, audge.

Jennifer said...

I agree with Dani. Cruel Aud. Just Cruel.

Stephanie Lin said...

What the heck is this book????

lene b said...

this sounds like magic.