Sunday, March 1, 2009

Basketball games are inTENTSe!


Once again, I had a very eventful weekend. One, I'm sure, everyone wants to hear about. So, pretty much, I have the coolest friends ever. A bunch of boys in my ward are HUGE BYU fans, and because the BYU-Utah game was this weekend, they decided to camp-out for tickets. The game was on Saturday, but the tent went up outside the Marriott Center on Wednesday. They brought their mattresses to sleep on, their TV, a space heater, and three different gaming systems for entertainment. Coolest ever, right? So, the deal was that if my roommates and I wanted to be able to get in line with them on Saturday when the actual tickets were disbursed, we had to do tent duty. Jeff made out the schedule, and Meghan and I were assigned Friday afternoon. Big problem. I really wanted to hang out in that awesome tent, but I had LOADS of homework to do. So I did something that a year ago I never would have done. I blew off my homework and opted for a day in the tent. I spent 5 and a half hours on tent duty, but don't worry, it totally paid off when it came to game time. One might have suggested that I do my homework while I sat in the tent for that long while. Doing homework in a tent, though, is not realistic. Especially not when you are sitting with Paul and he makes you play Mario Cart and Blackjack. Yes, I lost my car, phone, wallet, camera, highlighters, lotion, and lip gloss. Being the gentleman that Paul is, however, I got it all back. :) I do have to say that I owned his Audi and iPhone for a significant portion of the game, though. And those two things are worth WAY more than all of my stuff plus the tent and everything in it. So all in all, I think I won. Anyway, it was a day of tent adventures and no homework. I just wish I wasn't so wired to do homework, because I had a knot in my stomach about it all day. I swear, I'm not going to do well on my British Lit midterm tomorrow. Tomorrow will be a day for some hardcore studying. :(
Once 4:30 hit, we managed to pull ourselves out of the tent, and Meghan, Paul, and I went to Costco to buy candy. The idea was that we were goint to play candy poker in the tent. I know that is kind of technically against the rules, but Paul is kind of the devil, and he convinces us to do all sorts of sketchy things like play poker and break the midnight curfew by 5 minutes. We got LOADS of candy, but when we brought it back to play poker, Drew was entirely against the idea, and the game never happened. Now we are stuck with $17 worth of bite-sized candy bars and laffy-taffy. Oh dear.

Anyway, there was a barbeque back at the tent at 6, so we bought some hotdogs and pringles and enjoyed a little feast of unhealthy, questionable food. There was also a slight hitch in the plan for the evening. THE FUSE BLEW. That meant that our tent no longer had power, which also meant that we no longer had a space heater. Earlier in the day Meg and I decided that we would sleep in the tent too, and just have a huge slumber party. It would be perfectly appropriate and okay because there would be lots of people, we could sleep on one of the matresses in one of the side rooms of the tent, and we probably wouldn't get any sleep anyway (that was the boys' reasoning anyway. I told them that we should just name the tent "den of iniquity" since we were going to play poker AND have a co-ed sleepover. Luckily, neither of our scandalous activities ever occurred). But, without the heater, it was definitely a no-go. I did not want to sleep in the cold, and BOY WAS IT COLD! We hung out in the tent until about midnight, and froze the whole time.

One last thing- throughout all of our tent experience there were two things that were pervasive and consistent. First, the tent next door BLASTED music, some of which was not entirely wholesome and appropriate. But, they did play some good music, and we educated Paul on the world of hip-hop and rap. Good times. Also, there was a constant joke about things that are intense (camping, circuses, weddings, etc). It was muy hilarioso.
So that is the tent story. The actual basketball game story begins at 12:30pm on Saturday. We had to line up by then beacuse they opened the doors at 1, and the game started at 3. The tents were all cleaned up by this point, and the line stretched VERY FAR. I don't really know where it ended because I was at the front... All I can say is that when they finally let us in, the entire all-sports pass section filled up within like 30 minutes. We were about mid-court, 6th row. It was nice. The game was very INTENSE, very loud, very exciting, and very crowded. Rather than summarize the whole game, lets just say that we were down by 6 at one point, got fouled alot, I ate a Cougar dog at halftime because I was starving to death, we said, "whoosh, Cecil!" everytime we made a foul shot (to honor the Pres.), Cosmo came and cheered with us for a couple of minutes, and we WON BY THIRTEEN!!!! It was quite incredible, and very exciting. I love basketball games. I feel like I haven't talked about them at all, but I promise, I do love basketball.

After the game I went to Pebbles. No, I didn't have to work. I voluntarily went to scrapbook on a Saturday night! Yay! Audrey P. and I had a scrapbook party! We signed up and went to the Moonlighter! It was super fun until I got super burnt-out, and I made the UGLIEST scrapbook page ever. Audrey can attest to the ugliness of my page. But it was fun anyway. I love scrapbooking. And Heather saw a picture in my scrapbook and asked if it was of one of the engaged couples. Um no, Heather, it is a picture of me and my roommate. I said, "Are you saying that I look like a MAN??!!!" True, I was wearing an ESPN hat with a ponytail and a black T-shirt, but still. It was like the funniest thing ever. The whole class of like 18 people heard our whole conversation, and it was SO FUNNY. Me and Audrey were practically peeing our pants laughing. Also, Audrey and I have decided that before I leave for D.C., we are going to make twinner mini albums all about "Audrey Squared." We will include all of the strange things that we have in common, including our awesome name. I'll keep you posted on that, because it's going to be AWESOME.

Now, I'm sorry this post in FOREVER long. I'll try not to do that in the future. But props to you if you read the whole thing. You get bonus points. When you leave a comment, tell me if you get the bonus points, and I'll keep a talley. :) Until next week, have a lovely day!

Oh wait, I also want to ask for advice. I need help with motivation. For some reason, I have been having a really hard time being a good student. I officially NEED HELP!

8 comments:

Audrey said...

Woo-hoo!! Bonus points for Audrey P!!

Meghan said...

Bonus points for me too!! Audrey we are the best :-) I am so glad that I have converted you into a slacker of homework so that you will do fun things with me!!! I am going to miss you so much when we have to leave each other! but lets have lots and lots and lots of fun until then :-) and i love this post... we had so much fun this weekend!

Moe said...

Holy Cow! Aud you are falling apart!! Deciding to just NOT DO homework!! What are we going to do?? haha... jk you will still pull off an A in that class and all will be well. I have a lot I could say about you spending an entire afternoon in a tent with a man, planning a co-ed sleepover, playing poker, and not doing homework, but I don't want to embarrass you, so I'll just say that you are hilarious!! Oh and that I am really proud of you.

Also, I get props and bonus points.

Natasha & Jacob said...

I didn't reead the whole thing just the bonus points part! Do i still get them?

Jennifer said...

Scandalous Aud!! You at a Co-Ed sleepover?? I never thought i'd see the day..... : ) And the whole "i've no motivation to do my homework...." Dont worry, It's just a normal phase everyone goes through, just part of the college experience! Plus-How lame would it be if you could never tell your grand kids that you ditched out on homework?? ; D I cant wait to talk to you again! Oh and i got bonus points!

Ron and Maggie said...

I GOT BONUS POINTS! That was a good post and it sounded like lots of fun! What happened to the audrey i used to know... you sound like audrey's evil twin! hahaha no not really sometimes its good just to have a break right?

The Alleman Family said...

I just had a quick glanse at that picture!! I didn't look at it close enough to see it was you! It was really funny though... just think you will always think of me and my comment everytime you look at that page.

Stephanie said...

Hey, Audrey! I finally read your blog! :) I love hearing your stories. I say avoiding homework is a good thing when you are having so much fun doing it!