Sunday, March 22, 2009

The Dangers of Pop-Tarts

First Order of Business: My BURNT HAND. So, on Thursday I came home from class and innocently began preparing lunch. I was STARVING because it was already after 3:00pm, and I didn't get any lunch on campus because of stupid group projects that were pointless and retarded. So, while I was preparing my real meal, I threw a pop-tart into the toaster to hold me over. BAD IDEA, CHIEF! A couple minutes later the pop-tart popped, and I pulled it out. It was very very hot. And honestly, I don't know quite how it happened. I don't know if it was the frosting or the goo inside or what, but while I was transferring the pop-tart from the toaster to the counter, something SCALDED my hand. I kind of started freaking out and waving my hand around trying to get the goo or whatever off my hand. I flipped on the water, thinking that it would just go away in a minute. But no, this was no regular little kitchen burn. This was a 4 inch long, 6 blister affair. How it got so bad, I will never know. When my hand still felt like it was on fire after like five minutes under cold water, I decidedly filled a bag of ice, threw on my backpack and ran to the car. I knew that I needed something to treat my burn- and fast. Also, I was scheduled to work in like a half an hour, and I needed my problem under control. I drove to Macey's, ran in to the pharmacist, stuck my hand out to show the pharmacy tech, and in a very desperate tone, said, "I need something for a burn." I actually kind of started to cry a little bit. Let me tell you, that girl knew that I was in pain, and I was starting to freak out quite a bit. It was just hurt SO STINKING BAD!

After stocking up on medical supplies (total: $16.00 that I didn't have in my account), I dashed off to work with tears in my eyes and a bag of much-needed ice in my hand. To summarize the rest of the story, I worked a 5-hour shift with a bag of ice in my hand the whole time. it was HORRIBLE. My only consolation was that I worked with Audrey P, who I love dearly and HARDLY EVER get to work with (go Audrey Squared!). We made 6 trips to Arby's throughout the day to re-fill my bag of ice because me hand wouldn't stop hurting. Every time the ice melted and the water started to get warmer, my hand would un-thaw and feel as though someone lit 25 matches simultaneously by scratching them on my hand and them leaving them there to burn, smoulder, and cook. Not a pretty picture, idea, or feeling. It is now the 4th day after this tragedy occurred, and it is obviously still very sore. I've kept it wrapped a lot, though, so that helped. And, I finally popped the inch-long blister last night. I swear that thing was protuding like a quarter of an inch off my hand. Super gross.
(You can't see the blisters that are closer to my thumb. It was really really hard to take a picture).

Also, everyone that I tell about my burn says that I should sue the pop-tart people. Also, Clint, Audrey P's husband, said that he alreayd knew pop-tarts were dangerous because his house almost burned down once because of a pop-hart. But, I DO NOT have a case. This is the warning on the back of the box: (and I'm serious, it actually says this)

CAUTION: If the pastry is overheated, the frosting/filling can become extremely hot and could cause burns. Do not leave toasting appliance unattended during heating due to possible risk of fire.

hahahahahaha. Oh crap.
Anyway, the adventure of the weekend. :)

7 comments:

Jennifer said...

Oh Aud! I'm so sorry! that sounds Awful!! : (

hannahshirley said...

Oh gosh, are you scarred (literally and figuratively)? Will you ever partake of a delicious, yet dangerous poptart again? I love your poptart disclaimer at the bottom.

Moe said...

Oh my!! Aud! You're hand looks awful, and very painful. I'm so sorry to say this but your story is actually really hilarious, and I was laughing out loud. The 25 matches thing, brilliant. I also loved the part about buying $16.00 worth of burn medication, when you didn't have $16. Hilarious! Oh Drin, I'm still crackin up... but I do feel bad that you were in pain. really...

Lorina said...

I'm so sorry you got burned. That picture does not do it justice!

Ron and Maggie said...

GEEZ! I KNEW THE GOO WAS THAT HOT! I myself have suffered from smoldering goo, but ABSOLUTELY NEVER THAT BAD! I AM SO SORRY! That looks very very very painful... I totally would have cried so way to be

Lorina said...

The movie is called 500 days of summer. It's weird the video is not showing up. I guess you can watch it on Youtube. It's soo cute!

Ashley and Devon said...

that really was a tragedy! i did enjoy watching you squeeze the gooey stuff out tho :) that probably sounds nasty...