Monday, April 27, 2009

STARVATION.

Have you ever gone three days almost completely without food? Yes, I've been there now. I have been super deprived. So this is the story. I left for Washington at 8:15 Vegas time in Saturday morning. Prior to the flight I had a sausage mcmuffin. I was also, somehow, without a water bottle. When I got to my new residence in Washington, D.C. at 7:30pm, the only things I had eaten in between were airplane crackers and raisins. I was STARVING. So, I immediately went to dinner. Meal #1. Then, stupidly enough, I was too excited to make a trip to the grocery store. I did, however, find some plastic cups. I used the cup for drinking, and kept it in my room for future use, since I was still without a water bottle. The next day, unfortunately, was Sunday, which meant that a grocery store trip was a no. I survived that day on granola bars and a piece of strawberry shortcake from the linger longer after church. Oh, I also had a package of pretzels from the front desk of our building. Me and my roommate, who is also without food, caiphed them and carried them in our purses to church. That's the kind of thing that massive hunger makes you do. We also collected another 2 plastic cups from the ward function. They were also brought home in our purses. And now, it is Monday, 3:43 in the afternoon, and I ate a granola bar this morning, got a bagel from our professor, and a hot dog from a cart about an hour ago. That hot dog was pickin' 4 dollars! But so delicious. And, you can congratulate me, I finally bought a water bottle. I will no longer go thirsty. Yay me!

But see, running on little to no food wouldn't be this bad normally (well, I first have to say that I WOULD NEVER NORMALLY DO THIS! I am not anorexic, I LOVE FOOD WAY TOO MUCH. It is a temporary solution, I am running to the grocery store right after I finish this post, and I will go alone if I have to! And yes, Mom, I will be safe!), but, I have been walking SO much. Several miles a day, I would say. Yesterday we rode the metro to Arlington National Cemetary, then walked back to the Lincoln Memorial, Korean War and Vietnam memorials, the White House, and THEN back to Foggy Bottom where we live. Round trip, it took several hours, and I was without water the whole time (except when we found a drinking fountain randomly). And then today, we had a class in the morning, and then split into groups to find our internships. We walked aimlessly trying to find this one guy's FOR THE LONGEST TIME, and then the overbearing girl at the front of the group decided that we shouldn't use the metro, because she didn't want to pay for it. It was slightly contentious to say the least. I hate it when people act like they know what they are talking about, when they really don't. This girl is married and pregnant, though, so I didn't blame her for being kind of snotty. But I did think it was weird that she didn't want to ride the metro. Crazy.

We finally found what we were looking for, and I convinced everyone to get on the metro and just RIDE to the Smithsonian. So, I found my internship location. It is right on the mall. I love that place. It's like my fave. The address to the Museum of American History is actually 14th street and Constitution Ave. I love it. We walked around inside for a while, and it was pretty sweet. My favorite thing in there so far was Seinfeld's puffy shirt. It's on display. I didn't take pictures this visit, though, those will come later.

The other problem with going without food and water is the HEAT. It is very humid here, and the past three days have been record breaking temperature-wise. Apparentely it's usually in the 60s this time of year, but yesterday it was 92 degrees! Insanely warm for April. I hate feeling sticky.

And last, before I post pictures, I just have to say that I love being here. It's so worth the foot pain (from walking so much), the starvation and thirst, the heat, the everything. I so happy to be here. It's really pretty. I love the trees, and all the buildings are really cool. I love being able to walk or ride the metro everywhere I go. It's just so convenient! I love it. And I love my roommate. Her name is Genevieve Swift, and we get along very well. She stays up with me and talks when we are in bed, and I love doing that. I will post pictures of us soon! We haven't taken too too many yet, and they are all on her camera, so be excited for when they are posted! I also really like all the other people in the program. We are all actually pretty good friends already, which is so fun.

I think that's about it. Enjoy the pictures! Until next time!

P.S. I was really limited on what I could bring with me because of weight limits and stuff, and I just want to say that the only thing that I brought that was not practical was my Link Larkin Calendar. I love it. Go Zac.

P.P.S I am SO watching American Idol tomorrow. I super excited. Vote for Matt, will ya?
Cherry blossoms! Yay! I thought I would miss all of those. This picture is really cool because you get a good view of a lot of headstones at Arlington, but also because of the lone blossomed tree. It was SO pretty. I really love Arlington.This is the view of D.C. from Robert E. Lee's home, across the Potomac.The Korean War Memorial. My fave besides Jefferson. I love the inscription and fountain. It says, "Freedom is not Free." So profound.It was getting dark at this point. These are some of my crew. My roomy had left and gone home by this point, so she totally missed our LONG walk and trip to the White House, which is featured below. Left to right the people are Cameron, Lisa, Matt, Michelle, me, and Adam. The glare from the flash is there because we are standing in the crevace of the Vietnam Memorial wall. And yeah, I know the picture is crappy and dark. I posted it anyway because it's the only I have with me in it. :(
This is my museum!!!! The Museum of American History. Isn't it lovely??!! This is only a small portion of the front of it. The hot dog cart I got my hot dog from! Yum! Don't you just love all the trees?!! So pretty.

Edit: I have now returned from the grocery store. I spent $50 on groceries! The closest grocery store is a Safeway, and guess where it is???!!! Under the Watergate Hotel. Yes, the infamous watergate. I walked there today, and I bought food. YAY.

4 comments:

Meghan said...

Audrey! Thank you for blogging and keeping me updated! Wow I am so happy for you!!! It looks like such an amazing fun adventure and I'm super jealous. You look like you are already having so much fun and meeting fun people and doing fun things!! Yey for Audrey! Hope you continue to have the time of your life!!

I love you!!

Meghan

Lorina said...

It looks like you are having soo much fun! I'm so excited for you! Keep on posting your adventures!

Moe said...

Please eat Audrey! I don't care how much craziness is going on, you need food.
Sounds like you're having fun! I'm glad that you are making friends with the people in your program.

Love ya!

oh p.s. Adam looks like a cutie... am I right?

Jennifer said...

Hmmm.... I would like to hear the answer to moes question too...or are there cuter guys?? spill all the juicy details! how was church? Was the ward as huge as you thought it would be? It sounds all very exciting and i wish you posted MORE pics! : ) I love reading about it! (but i still expect that phone call you promised me) : )