Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Once again, it's finals week

...and all I can think about are things to write on my blog.

1. Costco paper towel manufacturers are cheaters. My roommates and I collectively purchased a giant package of paper towels. We have gone through several rolls incredibly fast. I realized today why that is. The individual paper towels are GINORMOUS. They are much larger than is necessary. But, those people at Kirkland are making a ton of money off of their giant paper towels. Larger paper towels= less on a roll= more rolls used per household because one roll runs out really fast.

2. I went to The Nutcracker last Saturday with two of my sisters- Stephanie and Elise. We went to dinner beforehand and we were all dressed up and kind of matchy-matchy. It was adorable. And I loved the Nutcracker. The Snow Queen and the Sugar Plum Fairy were my favorites because they have very very sparkly tutus and they are just so beautiful. They looked delicate and perfect and I wanted to be them.

Anyway, while we were there, I remembered something funny. I went to The Nutcracker once before when I was 9 or 10. I remember that earlier in the day, before going to the ballet, I somehow acquired a new box of crayons. These were not any crayons, though. They were glow-in-the-dark. And I was obsessed with them. What is a 9-year-old girl who  loves crayons and colors more than life itself to do when she has evening plans and a new box of crayons? Bring them with her. And watch them glow in the dark theater throughout the whole ballet. Yes, that is what I did. And actually, the glow died out during the first half, so during intermission I ran into the bathroom and held my crayons up to the light to re-charge them.

Brilliant.

3. Rachelle's bridal shower. It really was a blast. Just about everyone who was invited was able to come. And we ate pizza and delicious cupcakes that Kaitlin made from scratch.

I realized while throwing this shower that the point of the whole thing is to socialize and chat and give the bride good presents, but really it is for the bride to feel loved and appreciated by her best friends. So I hope that's what we accomplished. Rachelle, we threw that shower for you because we love you and we want you to know how much we appreciate you.

4. I met a boy at a party the other night who said he wanted to be a history teacher so he can coach football. We make jokes about those kinds of people all the time in my program. We despise those kinds of people. The boy actually said this, "yeah, I figure I should do history instead of one of the real, hard subjects like biology. History just isn't as important, so I figured that would be a good idea." And I actually said, "wow. Watch who you're talking to when you decide to bash history." Seriously, kid. Not cool. Not cool at all. And if you ever read this post, please do every child, every history teacher, and the beloved subject of history itself, a favor, and please please please do not become a history teacher. I'm way to passionate about history and the way it is taught to allow someone who could care less about the subject but just wants to coach football to let this happen. Anyway, it made me really mad. How can someone be so stupid?

5. Dani got engaged. Yes, ma'am. She is to be wed. To Michael James Everton. In March maybe? read the whole story on her blog.

6. BYU basketball now 10-0, AND we're ranked #16 on the AP poll. If we keep moving up in the rankings, imagine the possibilities!!!! We could get a good seed in the NCAA tournament, play crappy teams in the first couple rounds and actually go pretty far in the tournament. Wouldn't that be just so so so exciting!!?!?!?
  
7. About an hour ago I was in the Terrace of the Wilk eating my last hot bread and honey butter as a student at BYU. I sat across the table from two boys deeply engrossed in conversation that I couldn't help but listen to every word of. Eavesdropping. A favorite Terrace pastime.

Anyway, these boys appeared to be discussing some sort of court case they were planning. I assumed that it was for a moot court final in some class. Which is cool. They used very expert terminology and really sounded like they knew what they were talking about. One boy was smiling and looked very happy about something, and the other (who was dishing out most of the information) looked very smug. They were both wearing Newsie hats, and the smug one was markedly more attractive than the other (who was on the unkempt, in-need-of-a-shower, and chubby side)

After a while of listening to their banter I noticed some unusual terms. To quote:  "Alario," "the six gates," and "overhill." Suspicious. I became even more suspicious when this conversation took place:

(Happy, chubby one) "What if I told you that I informed my superior of all this?"
(Smug, attractive one) "By superior, you mean your father?" (tone was incredulous)
(Happy, chubby one) "Yes my father. The king."
(Smug, attractive one) "You mean the king knows the location of the gate? I can't subpoena the king!"
Conversation followed by intense laughter from both parties regarding the idea of forcing the king to the stand in trial.

They also discussed the possibility of putting one "Ryden" on the stand.
Smug, attractive one exclaimed in surprising animation, "but he doesn't know the location of the 6 gates!" The other then countered, "What if I told you that Alario wrote a letter to Ryden about the gates, and I have the letter." (Smug one answered) "Hmmm. Even so, we would have to prove that Johnathan has a good reason to keep Alario alive. Alario is in Johnathan's custody."

Alario appears to be the man on trial. For murder I think. Or maybe he killed someone to cover up the crime that he committed regarding the 6 gates. I couldn't make sense of it all. Either way, Alario is an evil villain, and the sentence prescribed by smug boy was to put him on the front lines of some battle that was supposed to happen so that he was forced to fight.

Before getting up I asked them what in the world they were talking about. I couldn't resist. I was hoping they would say dungeons and dragons. They said it was a role-playing game. They were vague. And then one of them started to explain what an RPG is. I quickly said that I was familiar with the term. I told them they were nerdy but funny to listen to (in a nice way). They laughed and resumed their deep and important discussion while I walked away, smiling to myself and carrying a handful of notes that I had taken on their conversation.

Adios.

8 comments:

Lynne said...

I love your blog.

lene b said...

yes. made my night! wish i could have been there with you! ps: would you have kissed them?

dani said...

wowza.
i am so engrossed in those boys' story it's a little scary. ha i love it. thank you for recording that :)

Calista said...

Why doesn't that coach guy want to be a health teacher?! Isn't that what health is for? Or PE? Why must he ruin a real subject with his carelessness?!!!

Grr.

Moe said...

Haha! Creepy conversation if you ask me! Also I was hoping the one that started "I met a boy at a party" would have been a little more juicy. Oh well.

Audrey said...

Silly Moe, thinking I would tell an actual juicy story on my blog.

Jennifer said...

I love you!

eliseila said...

I didn't remember about the crayons until you reminded me and now I was reminded again by the blog. I am so glad that you had those crayons. You color the world beautiful! love, mom