Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Happy Pearl Harbor Day.

I celebrate this memorial day in two ways: 1) I generally wear a patriotic pin on Pearl Harbor Day, but I couldn't find mine this year. 2) I watch the movie. Compelling history+Ben Afflek+Josh Hartnett+a confusing love triangle=a very good idea.

But mostly I just like to remember. I like to remember how it affected our nation. Today in my history teaching methods class a group presented their project and did a little bit on Pearl Harbor and September 11th. The parallels they drew between the two were fascinating. I swear, I got the chills probably 4 times during their lesson. It was powerful. And I was so glad to remember both Pearl Harbor and September 11th. They were important times for our country, and I think that many people often forget that.

Also, today I did some research on the more militant side of the Civil Rights movement for the unit plan I'm working on It was fascinating and I can't stop thinking about it. Probably my favorite character of the movement was Stokely Carmichael, a college student and head of the Student Non-Vionlent Coordinating Committee (SNCC) for a couple years in the mid-1960's. He's just an interesting character. His involvement in the 1960s Civil Rights movement began with adherence to innovative non-violent forms of protest. Eventually, though, as he began to see the violence and pain that he and his followers were subjected to, he began to be more militant. He actually coined the term "black power" as it applies to the Black Power portion of the movement. He stepped down as head of SNCC (well, they kind of kicked him out because he was too much of a celebrity) in 1967, and joined the Black Panthers. In April of 1968 he played a significant role in the DC Riots following Martin Luther King's assassination.

Anyway, I think he was interesting. And a little crazy. :)
And I have, for your viewing pleasure, a clip of the speech (I think) in which he first used the term, "black power." It's incredible. He was such a good speaker.



Some other things of today:

1. New Michael Jackson song available on Ping (a new music social networking thing on iTunes). It's a collaboration with Lenny Kravitz, and I really like it. It was recording during the Invincible sessions, and ya'll know how much I love what came of that.
2. I realized that I wear some sort of blue most days of the weak. I have a lot of blue clothes. Especially navy blue. I like to wear navy blue and white.
3. I decided that no matter what, pea coats are actually not comfortable at all. I will always be more comfortable in a sweatshirt or puffy down coat. Seriously. I like pea coats and I think they are adorable, but they are not cozy and comfortable. I can't stand wearing one with a backpack. Can't stand it. At all. Lame, right? Why do I have to dislike scarves (they choke me), boots, and cute coats? It seems as though all the things that girls like about winter I don't like.
4. I leave Provo a week from tomorrow. Such limited time it's freaking me out. But I'm getting really excited too.
5. Rachelle is getting married in 10 days.
6. I don't get enough sleep. Ever.
7. I went to the American Crafts warehouse sale this morning with Elise and Audrey P.
8. Now that I'm done with my last research paper of the forsee-able future, I'm kind of sad. For real.

The end.

1 comment:

lene b said...

i love you. also. don't leave.