Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Today.

What went through my head today while walking around campus and sitting in class:

1. I have come to terms with the fact that I think boots are ugly. That doesn't mean that when people wear boots I think that person is ugly, or that they are dressed ugly. But seriously, I just don't like them. I don't want to wear boots because I kind of think they are just plain ugly. That's all. (The exception to this rule are rainboots. Love 'em.)

2. 90% of the people I have ever talked to do not know the difference (or cannot remember the difference) between OHIO and IOWA. To most westerners (and easterners) the two states are the same thing. I am here to tell the world that they are very different. And for the record, I lived in IOWA for three years, not Ohio.

3. Blue jeans are a miracle. On any given day, 95% of the people I see are wearing jeans. I doubt that the person who first invented jean EVER imagined the affect that they would have on society--- on the WORLD. Everyone underestimates the power of the blue jean. Seriously.

4. Being a teacher is actually sounding a little bit fun to me again. Phew.

5. I am obsessed with babies. I had a dream the other night that I had a baby. And when I woke up, there was no baby, and I was actually really sad. You know when someone in a dream does something mean to you, and you wake up mad at them? Or you dream about someone, and then like the whole next day you are like super attracted to them? Well, same sort of thing.

6. Confession: I would do my reading for class if my teachers let me read from the textbook instead of some stupid article on course reserve! I hate those articles. They are boring and lame, I hate reading on the computer screen, it costs money to print out a 30 page article, and seriously, why can't we read from the textbook that the professor required us to buy AND PAY GOOD MONEY FOR?!

7. Quote from my grammar textbook today: "Success is intrinsically motivating." Totally agree. Why would you EVER try if you keep failing, over and over? WHY?

8. Tights/Nylons are fantastically comfortable and warm.

9. I finished ALL THREE sudoku from the newspaper this morning in ONE CLASS PERIOD. That proves three things: I am getting really pretty good at Sudoku, I don't pay that much attention in Utah History, and my class is JUST THAT BORING.

10. So I really highly dislike my U.S. Women's History class (we're bordering on "kinda hate" here), but today, I really, really enjoyed it. Well, the first five minutes anyway. This video clip is why:

Don't ask. Just love.

11. Also, in class today we were talking about the modern feminist liberation movement. In 1968 a whole ton of women stormed New York City and Atlantic City protesting the Miss America Pageant. It was a big deal. They threw away all their girdles, bras, beauty products, curling irons, hair dryers, etc. to symbolically free themselves of the bonds of femininity and womanhood and whatever. Makes no sense, right? Well, a bunch of men that were standing around and watching the spectacle of apparently bra-less women were like, "They're just mad because they're too ugly to be in the pageant." There is actually record of men saying this to the protesters faces. That story just made me happy. It was probably true.

So that was my day.

3 comments:

Moe said...

Good thoughts Drina. Now, that video... Michael was good in it. Just the setting and the already-adult lady were creepy. But I'm glad that clip could brighten your day!

Jennifer said...

I'm not quite sure what to think about that video.... : ) Congrats on the Sudoku! You're amazing!! : )

dani said...

audrey. i cannot believe/accept the fact that you don't love boots. i seriously can't stop thinking about them and coveting them. sigh. i guess we will just have to agree to disagree on that one. and also, i wrote an entire post about your #11 like 2 years ago! read this baby: http://danidanosaur.blogspot.com/2008/04/on-feminism.html