Friday, October 8, 2010

My lovely Sugarpop.

I call my little sister Moriah a mixture of names: Mojo, Baby Jo, Sugarpop, Sugardoll, Banjo...


Some recent things about Moriah that reminded me of how amazing she is:

1. For the past month, literally every night before she goes to bed, she texts each of her siblings and says something to the extent of: "Good night best sister in the world! Sleep so neat!" or "I love you so so so much! Sleep so nifty!" The girl is hilarious/awesome/sweet.
2. She just turned 15 and got her young womanhood recognition award. As a reward, the 5 or 6 girls in the stake who got their award at the same time got to go up for Saturday general conference in the Conference Center, AND they got to go to President Uchtdorf's office and meet him. What a dream, right? Needless to say, Moriah loved it.
3. She is an excellent student and is involved in several clubs at the middle school. She's on the GYC council and in NJHS, played tennis at the high school this past year, and goes to drama class up at the high school with Mr. Saxton every other day. She wants to be involved in everything.
4. On Friday when I was in St. George I saw Mr. Saxton and talked to him for a bit. He commented on Moriah and how great she is. He said, though, that he asked her to take a part in a short scene from "Much Ado About Nothing" at the Shakespeare festival competition because the girl who was going to take the part dropped out. Moriah had said she didn't think she could memorize the lines fast enough and told him no. So I said to Mr. Saxton, "you want me to tell her to do it? If I'll tell her, she'll do it." (I recognize my authority...) He nodded and said that was a great idea. So when I saw Moriah, I made my proposition and told her she should do it. It took some coaxing, but I convinced her that it wouldn't be that hard. Together, we identified the scene she was to learn, and the part, and printed off 2 copies of the script (it's a good thing I know that play so well. All Moriah had to do was tell me that Beatrice and Margaret were in the scene and that Margaret said something about "heels"). Then, between sessions of conference on Sunday, we went on a walk around the neighborhood and read lines. I prompted her and explained the scene to her, and together, we memorized the scene. It was a lot of fun. Later that day, she came to me and said, "Audrey, thanks for helping me remember that I'm not just a regular student. I'm an overachiever too."

Could anything be sweeter? Could I have done a better job on my little protege?

I love this sweet girl more than I can say. And I'm so proud to be her big sister.


And also, I just have to say, Moriah is the reason that I still love the Jonas Brothers, Hannah Montana, High School Musical, and Sonny With a Chance. Well, maybe not the only reason, but a big reason.

2 comments:

lene b said...

cute. :) i wish i had a little sister/protege.

dani said...

cute cute cute :)

i think that little girl is the sweetest/would love to add her to my collection of little sisters. tell her please. maybe she'll jump ship...