Thursday, January 13, 2011

Yeah. This happened.

This week, in the DC, I had a little setback.

I had some wrist pain on Saturday... that increased exponentially until Monday morning when I could no longer move my wrist- or fingers- because of the pain. And I actually shed tears.

I went to the doctor and after two hours of waiting, explained my situation to the doctor:
"So, I don't know what happened... my wrist just started hurting. I didn't injure it. The only thing I can think of is that I moved and pulled some heavy suitcases all week last week. Oh, and I broke that wrist when I was 6. And, did I forget to say that it hurts like, really bad?"

The doctor was of very little help. The x-ray said nothing. After my 4-hour visit to the urgent-care clinic that I found online and found a ride to, the doctor sent me home with a brace, a prescription, and no information.

(sidenote: I hate taking medication. I feel like medicine (not antibiotics) doesn't actually make you better, it just makes you feel like you are better until you actually get better. And I don't like it when I feel fake better. I don't like not knowing what it's supposed to actually feel like. I know that's weird.)

So I got home and didn't fill my prescription. I iced my poor wrist, took some ibuprofen, and took a 2-hour nap.

The next day it hurt worse. I didn't sleep that night, you know, because it hurt so bad. And it was dang hard to get ready in the morning. Try putting a ponytail in your hair with one hand. Imagine me, Audrey, using one hand to put my nylons on for my first day of student teaching on Tuesday. Imagine my 5 whole minutes of agony. And then imagine going to some inner-city schools in Washington, D.C. and meeting intimidating administrators who give your broken wrist a firm handshake. Imagine holding in the scream.

It was a rough couple of days. I even called my brother and cried. Sobbed while walking down the street in Foggy Bottom after my first day. I sat on the metro with red puffy eyes and avoided looking at my fellow passengers.

What the heck is wrong with my wrist? What. the. heck. And besides the heck, what the RANDOM, right?

I gave up the no-prescription-medicine-charade on Wednesday afternoon. My happiness has increased dramatically since then. I slept last night. The whole night. No midnight trips to the bathroom for more painkillers or trips to the kitchen for ice bags.

Improvements of today:
1. I buttoned my pants this afternoon with apparent ease.
2. I carried something.
3. I cracked an egg. With both hands.
4. I slowly texted with both of my thumbs. 
5. I'm typing. Right now. With two hands (one in the brace of course)

Tomorrow my goal is to:
1. Apply lotion to my left arm (with my right hand)

So I'm in a positive, stabilized position at this time. But I think it's fake. My wrist feels better because I'm taking a strong pain killer and anti-inflammatory to stop the swelling (see picture below). So I guess I'll keep you updated on that.
Comparison of Audrey's wrists and hands. TOP: normal hand. Bottom: NOT NORMAL. Notice the two missing knuckles on the bottom hand due to swelling. And the lump on the left side of the wrist that is only slightly visible.


My experience in DC round 2 has been... a little rough at times. I am anxious to see how things turn out.

BTdub, I am still terrified of student teaching.

And there were like 5 large hiccups in my placement. Hopefully (and thankfully) they are overcome. It's been a little bit stressful to say the least. And I have been very, very sad, and very, very mad way too many times. I think I'm generally a fairly emotionless person, unless that emotion is happy, excited, or sincerely content but sleepy. It's been a ride. A wild ride. :)

But I love love love my roommates. They are Jetette Super Great. Aimee is my room-roommate. We have some great pillow talk, which I love. And all the girls support my ice cream addiction. Last night, when I was having such a hard time, my girls went down to the convenience store in the basement of our apartment building and bought me a pint of Red Velvet special edition ice cream, and then we sat in a circle and talked it all out.

10 comments:

dani said...

audrey, i'm so sorry you're having a hard time!! i wonder what the heck is up with your wrist too... that sounds so strange. i'm glad you feel better though.

ps: the other night in our apartment we had a big conversation about how much we miss you. and it's totally true. i love you!!

Meghan said...

AUDREY! That sounds awful and I am so sorry. Life is stressful enough without CRAZY UNEXPLAINABLE PAIN! Maybe its a sign you should be here with my in Provo and not in DC.... Ok ok I'm sure that is not it and I KNOW things will get better and you are going to have SO MUCH fun there. :-)I must say that I do miss you terribly here. I love you! Hang in there.

Moe said...

Drina- Sorry about your wrist. What the heck?! Maybe you should get another doctors opinion..? Student teaching is hard enough with 2 usable hands. Glad you have good roommates that take care of you.

Love you!

lene b said...

oh audrey! if i was a millionair, or even if i had an extra $500 i would come and hang out w you. and hug you. and talk about everything awesome that would take your mind off of things. like what boys we'd kiss, how awesome shopping is, how awesome last summer was, and how awesome we are. i miss you, and wish you good luck.

love you.

eliseila said...

Audrey! I saw this little blue word that said comment and I clicked on it and this happened. Wow! Sorry I didn't figure this out before. I am so glad that your wrist is feeling better but be really careful with it. I am so proud of you and the choices you make in your life. Things will work out, I know it. Remember what Thomas Jefferson said.
p.s. what great comments from your wonderful friends. You have wonderful friends because you are a wonderful friend. Love, mom

eliseila said...

Hi Audrey, I just read your blog. I'm so sorry about the wrist. I guess it could be something like Gout, but maybe it is a flare-up from pulling and carrying luggage. I'd like it if you called a chiropractor and asked if they adjust wrists, then go see him or her. Tell them your dad is a chiropractor and ask if they can discount the adjustment for professional courtesy, especially if they went to Palmer. If the adjustment doesn't help, then a blood test for uric acid would identify gout. Maybe just a urinalysis, I don't remember. I love you very much and pray for relief of the obstacle. Dad

eliseila said...

ah!! dad changed my profile name!

eliseila said...

i fixed it. ghrrRR

Jennifer said...

oh Aud! you poor thing! I hope you are doing ok now!

Chuck and Becky West said...

Poor girl! I feel so bad for you. No doubt you are feeling better by now. I'm glad you finally took the prescription. You silly girl. Hope things are looking UP! Love you