Tuesday, November 18, 2008

I am officially in love with Hamlet. Not the character, but the play.



I had to read Hamlet for my Shakespeare class. Prior to this recent reading, I thought that the play was very boring and very dumb. But seriously, it's awesome. SO GOOD. And, I'm in love with Zeferelli's film version. It was made in 1990, and Mel Gibson plays Hamlet. He played the character very well, I thought. He seemed a little bit insane, but was also very depressed and brooding. It turned out to be an excellent combination. And Helena Bonham Carter is a BRILLIANT Ophelia. Just the right amount of creepiness when she goes crazy. Altogether, I'm a little to excited about it. I watched the movie last night and finished it this morning, and I'm still haunted by it. You know how some movies just stay with you a while, and you keep thinking about them? Well, Zeferelli's Hamlet did that to me. I would recommend it.

As you can see from reading my post about Octavian and now this one about Hamlet, I am enjoying my studies at BYU, and I have apparently picked the right field. I am altogether TOO enthusiastic about what I learn at school. But that's a good thing, right?

1 comment:

Ashley and Devon said...

ha i just read your "about audrey" and i love that you love talking about yourself and hate it when people don't use question marks. you are so great.