Sunday, November 14, 2010

Jimmer

Definition: verb meaning to "do something extraordinary with no apparent effort, and to look good while doing said amazing thing. " Example: "I totally jimmered the heck out of that test."

"Jimmer" can also be used as an adjective: (something happened that was totally cool) "That was so JIMMER!"

and a noun: (in reference to a boy who just walked boy smelling very nice) "he is such a jimmer."

We love Jimmer Fredette. Why? Perhaps because of his outstanding basketball skills? The fact that he was named to like 5 all-American teams this year? Maybe his nice nice shoulders and arms? Or maybe because it's just so fun to turn a classmate who you might actually see walking around campus into a celebrity?

Yesterday was the season opener. Rachel so graciously went to wait in line outside the Marriott Center around 3pm. Dani took her place at about 4:30, and I arrived at 5:00, just after they let everyone in to the building. We sat at our seats excitedly for two hours before the game started, and Jimmer made two appearances. The first time he walked in, everyone cheered, and he just raised his fist in the air.

So Dani made a shirt for the game. It said, "I LOVE JIMMER more than his girlfriend does." Before the game started, two cheerleaders made their way up the stands to us and one of them asked Dani if she could have a picture with her and the shirt. Dani was like, "wait, are you...?" And she said, "yeah, I'm his girlfriend." EEK. Embarrassing. A little. But also VERY hilarious. Haha, I about died while Dani's face turned red and she posed for the picture. As the two girls walked away, I realized: "Dani!! Jimmer is going to SEE THAT PICTURE!" Said girlfriend will be like, "hey Jimmer honey, look at this girl who is in love with you!" It might even end up on Facebook. ahahahahahaha.

The game started with a bang, they turned off the lights and dropped the sheets for the introduction. It was amazing. The first couple minutes of play were. a. mess. A little bit of a disaster. We were all over the place and there was a foul like every 10 seconds. Not an exaggeration. But then we hit a rhythm, and at one point, we were up like 39 points. The game ended 83-56.

For a more detailed report on the game, check out this article in the Washington Post. Check out the headline. Even people in Washington love Jimmer.

I love basketball season. As much, perhaps more than football season. Basketball games are just such a blast, and there are TONS of them!! It just spreads the joy over several more days of the year.

This week we have two games scheduled: Wednesday vs. Utah State, which is going to be a huge game. We lost to them last year, and the anticipation is killing me! Dani and I are even going to camp out on Tuesday night to make sure we get awesome seats (there are already like 8 tents in line. crazy byu kids). Then, on Saturday there is another game against some team I've never heard of. But don't you worry. I'll be there.

But I'm excited.

Anyway. We love Jimmer and the basketball joy he brings to BYU through his inherent awesomeness.

6 comments:

Audrey said...

Holy smokes that shirt story just MADE MY DAY!! That's hilarious!! My cousin is a cheerleader for BYU and her boyfriend plays on the team. It's not Jimmer though. :)

Sidenote.. Clint is watching a youtube video of colleges that actually have Quidditch teams. He's laughing so hard he's crying!

"That's why I sent my kid to college.. to play Quidditch." LOL

dani said...

oh dear. favorite memory with audrey yet.

Utah St. up next!

Moe said...

Haha! Ya, the shirt story is hilar.

Oh and go Aggies! :)

Lynne said...

You jimmered the heck out of that blogpost.

Calista said...

Holy Fredette that shirt story made my life. I'm going to share it with my class. It was THAT funny.

Taryn Davis said...

Ummm...I love Jimmer, and I miss basketball. I need to look into getting a pass!