Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Breaking News

So there's a new Michael Jackson single. Apparently is was recorded before he died, and record producers just cleaned it up and released it in anticipation of the release of an entire album, Michael, set to drop December 14. (YAY!!!)

Unfortunately, there is some controversy as to whether it's actually Michael's voice on the track. Which, if it's true, would be more tragic than I can say. The first time I listened to it (just moments after it became available on michaeljackson.com on Monday), I was confused. My first thought was, "this doesn't sound quite like the Michael I'm used to..." As I listened, I was convinced that it was Michael, but that the backtrack vocals were not him, probably because he didn't finish recording the harmonies. I could be wrong, but after several listens, before even hearing about the controversy, this is the conclusion that I came to. I at least noticed something was a messed up. And after several more listens, I want to add some more reasons why his voice sounds a little bit off: age and processing.

First, the last studio recording that was fully produced by Michael and his crew was released on 2004's "Michael Jackson Number Ones" greatest hits compilation album. The song was written by R. Kelly and titled, "One More Chance." He undeniably sounds a bit different in this song that in previous recordings that the general populace is very familiar with. Now, he died in 2009, dating the recording of "Breaking News" as many as 5 years after "One More Chance," the last time the world heard Michael sing on a recorded album. SO, his voice could have aged and slightly changed in the meantime (plus he passed the landmark age of 50).

Second, this MTV article about the subject mentions the fact that recording technology has changed dramatically in the last several years, and that the processed sound that it adds to natural voices can change things. In fact, to quote the article: "processing might be Jackson's voice's biggest enemy." I do quite agree- we love the natural, live Michael the best. We don't want the touch ups. BUT, the song does sound processed- and that may have been done with or without Michael's approval. He wasn't really around stop it or anything.

However, many of Michael's relatives are claiming that the voice on the track is not him. But who is to really know? Admittedly, his family and friends probably will know more than anyone. BUT, if there really are hundreds of unfinished and unpublished songs in his collection (like there was rumored to be following his death), why in the world would record executives fabricate a song and release it as original? It simply makes no sense. The same relatives who claimed the song was a fake also say that other songs on the album are 100% Michael's voice. It seems strange that Epic Records and MJJ Productions would release a fake song that they produced with some Michael sound-a-like before releasing a real one. If they were caught (kind of like they have been, if accusations are real), then they have ruined their credibility before the album is even released. That would destroy sales and really would never be a good business plan. Sheesh.

What I am getting at is that in my expert opinion (and as an avid listener and follower of Michael Jackson, I think I've earned the "expert" status), the song is real. This could all come crashing down on me, and I may eat my words soon. But whatever. I can be wrong.

In my heart of hearts, though, I really hope it's real. Really really really really I do. It was so comforting to hear the song. And to know that more is coming. I hope they don't take that away from me.

1 comment:

Lynne said...

I hope it's real too, for your sake. :-)