Sunday, May 17, 2009

I work at the Smithsonian.

It sounds super glamorous, and well, it is. The Smithsonian is very cool, and my museum, is the coolest one. I work on the first floor in the Archives Center, and I really only step on to the museum floor when I go on my lunch break. I kind of wish that I was able to work with the visitors more, because tourists are really hilarious, but I really love the people that I work with.

On my first day I had orientation and was sent over to the security offices a couple of blocks away to get my ID badge. I was SO excited to get my badge. Do you realize what this badge means?? It means that I don't have to wait in security lines in any of the museums!!! I am already SECURE!!! Also, it gives me access to the staff elevator. I made friends with the elevator man. His name is Eddy. It also gives me one free ticket at the IMAX theater in the Air and Space Museum every week. SO, we are going to Night and the Museum (the new one) in that theater when it comes out. Who ever gets to see a movie in the exact place where it was filmed?? No one but me!!! We were going to go to the premiere and see Ben Stiller, but I got the dates confused. I was very mad about that for a whole 2 days. Also, I have a work email address... but I'm not allowed to publicly post that. :)

So anyway, my work is in the Archives of the museum and is concerned with a particular collection of photographs, negatives, and studio records. It's called the Scurlock Collection, and it's very cool. So pretty much, I look at all the negatives all day. I can only touch them with gloves, I have to clean them, label them, and wrap them up in special paper. I am going to be working on this project ALL SUMMER. It takes a very long time. And there is a lot to do. It's quite a daunting task, really. But I like it. I am very good at keeping myself entertained, even while performing the most tedious tasks for hours at a time. I either think funny thoughts, watch movies in my head, have pretend conversations with funny people, sings songs in my head, write letters or essays in my head, or, my favorite, compete with myself for how many negatives I can finish processing in an hour. It's great fun. My processing-speed record is only like 42 per hour, though. IT TAKES FOREVER! I'll get faster, and I'll keep you updated.

The thing that I am excited about, though, is that I am the first summer intern in the office. The other interns are coming in June, so I already know the ropes and everything, and my supervisor has already told me that I am expected to teach and help the other interns. That means that I am kind of the head intern. Isn't that great? I am so in charge!!! Also, she asked me to be the staff photographer. I have to take pictures every week to document the preservation of the Scurlock Collection. That's how big of a deal this thing is. There is even an exhibit on the main floor of the museum about Scurlock and his work. Isn't that cool?!?!!

In summary, my first days were good, but very long. I am very glad that I only have to work 4 days a week. Thank goodness for BYU and classes on Fridays. :)

Things that I am loving about Washington
1) When people think that I am local and they ask me for directions. But the coolest part is that I know where to tell them to go. I was asked directions to the White House the other day (which I only live about 5 blocks from), and I was able to give precise directions. I love being informed!!
2) Realizing that it really is okay to get around a city without a car. I'm still a little freaked out by the idea, but I'm really starting to enjoy walking. I no longer depend on a car, and everything that I need is very close.
3) Living in the Barlow Center. Really, it just feels like I have 40 new best friends and siblings. I love it. I mean, there are some weirdos, but they are fun too.

Gosh, I made my job sound really exciting and awesome, but really, it's Sunday night, and I DON'T want to go to work tomorrow. Work means getting up early and sitting in a chair all day. The best part is my lunch break. I sit out on a bench on the Mall and look at tourists. They are funny with their shorts, tennis shoes, and fanny packs. Also, massive groups of 8th graders are funny.

7 comments:

Stephanie said...

Soon you will be processing negatives like you price paper! :)

Moe said...

Aud- This sounds like a job you would be very good at because... you are a perfectionist. Which is a good thing. :) My Audrey work at the Smithsonian!! I know, every time I see a preview for the new night at the museum, Smithsonian one, and ben stiller has a line that says something like "this is the museum of all museums" I beam with pride for you! I'll have to go there someday.

Love ya!

Jennifer said...

I agree with Stephanie and Moe! This is just the thing for you! Every time I see the night at the museum preview I tell everyone around that I know someone who works there! (most people don't really listen cause I'm just some stranger in the theater but it makes me feel cool none the less!) ;D

Chuck and Becky West said...

Your blog has got to be THE most entertaining one on the whole blogsphere! (Is that a word) You know what I mean. I love reading about all your experiences. I must say also, that you look totally gorgeous in every picture. You're amazing! Glad you are having the time of your life. You deserve it!

Audrey said...

You edited... If I wrote down your work email BEFORE you edited.. can I still email you at work?? :)

Audrey said...

Oh wait.. I think I lost it already. :( Dang...

Audrey said...

Time for a new update friend!! I check your blog everyday to only be disappointed because I have nothing exciting to read!! ;) jk.. but really. UPDATE! but really.. I'm kidding. Sorta. :)