Friday, December 23, 2011

More please.

I went to the Michael Jackson Immortal World Tour presented by Cirque du Soleil last night. And so begins my detailed exposition.


1. IT WAS WAY TOO LOUD. A lot of the time. Sometimes, though, the too-loudness was enlightening. It really was a different experience listening to Michael at that heightened volume. Let's put it this way: Michael used to record his music, and then everyone would leave the studio because he liked to jam to his demos SO LOUD that no one else could stand the loudness. He liked to feel the room vibrate. So, maybe, last night I got a little taste of what Michael heard, or wanted to hear, when he recorded his songs. And for that, I loved the loudness. I could feel it. And honestly, it sounded a little bit different than I was used to. It's like I could hear different tones and qualities in his voice. It was amazing.

2. There was not nearly enough Michael in the show. Sure, the whole thing was set to his music. And there were moments that were very tribute-esque. And a lot of the choreography (like for Smooth Criminal, Beat It, and Thriller), was exactly how Michael did it. But really, I would have loved a lot more Michael on the screen. A lot more of him. The best parts of the show were the ones where Michael was the most prevalent--- well, that may be a lie. But that's because it was a circus show. The most amazing parts were the ones where the trapeze people did the craziest stunts. But my favorite parts of the show were the ones that were Michael heavy. There was a moment when Speechless turned into Will You Be There, and I didn't know if I could take anymore without throwing up from amazingness. Stephanie screamed involuntarily and her arms flopped around in the air like, I can't take this anymore! It's too much! (In a good way). It all just kept getting better and better, but really, I could have watched a video montage of Michael (like the one at the beginning of the show) and been happy with my $60 ticket. That's how much I enjoyed the Michael in the show. And there should have been more of him.

3. The show started out kind of slow, and honestly, I was a little bit excited for it to be over, so I could drive home and then pretend it was awesome and tell everyone about it (kind of like I'm telling about it now, except there is no pretending going on. I promise). But there was point where I got lost. Totally lost. And unaware of time or anything around me. That's what a good show/movie/whatever is supposed to do. Involve you so much that you are lost. I don't know at what point this happened--- but I do know that when "Gone Too Soon" played and I thought the show was going to end, I felt a distinct sense of loss. I wasn't ready for it to end. Good thing they pulled a Return of the King and had like 4 fake endings, and the show didn't end for a while, because I probably would have lost it if it actually ended then. The show ended on Man in the Mirror, and it's like Michael said in This is It; "you have to be completely nourished by it." And I was. But then it ended and my mom broke the 18th cardinal rule of Audrey. She actually spoke the words, "so what did you think? Did you like it?" MOTHER! YOU HAVE TO LET IT SIMMER! It is impossible for someone to have a developed, reliable opinion on something that they just saw-- when they don't even know what they just saw yet! Here's a hint: NEVER ask me if I liked a movie RIGHT when it ends. I at least need to sit through the credits and gather my wits before I can say anything. And I don't want to hear your opinion either-- it will force me to make a premature decision about whatever it is that I just saw. Sitting in silence is much preferred in this situation, or else conversation about something totally unrelated is acceptable. Luckily, when my mother asked this illegal question, Stephanie forcefully slammed it down--"mother! Audrey doesn't want to talk about it yet! Don't you know her?"

4. But I do have an opinion now. It was fantastic. And I got the chills multiple times. And I didn't want it to end. And it was too loud, and there should have been more Michael. But Earth Song was incredible. Smooth Criminal took my breathe away. Dangerous was mesmerizing. I thought I was going to faint during I'll Be There. During Human Nature there were aerialists with light up suits that changed colors. During Beat It there was a human-sized glittery glove on the stage that came to life and danced. And I am going to make one just like it for Halloween next year. I almost shed a tear during Childhood. I Just Can't Stop Loving You was one of those moments where you wonder how what you are seeing is possible (involving two aerialists that held each other up with one rope 30 feet in the air).


5. Last, they used a lot of the same footage and concepts that are featured on This Is It. Which means that they did a lot of stuff the way it was planned to be done during the actual concert series in 2009. Which means that this was the closest I could ever possibly get to actually attending those shows that never happened. So that was amazing. It was cool to see the whole scenes that were just hinted at in the movie. Incredible.



So I loved it. But I did have this nagging, mournful feeling at the back of my throat for most of the show. I just wish that I could have seen him perform live. I just wish that I could have.

2 comments:

lene b said...

oh how i wish i would have been there. speechless to will you be there sounds magical. and ps i love and miss the little audrey quirks. i will remember your cardinal rule.

Lorina said...

That looks like you had a blast! I'm glad you had such a great time. Wish I were there!