Wednesday, August 4, 2010

There is nothing better in the world...

1. ...than weddings. The adorable and lovely Ariel Jackson got married to the charming and handsome Stephen Martin on July 17th, and I was in love with their wedding. It was literally the most fun I have ever had at a reception. There were lots of wardies there, and we all danced and danced to Bieber and ate cake. It was a blast. And so beautiful.

2. ...than Pioneer Day. We are so lucky to live in Utah and get an extra holiday which = an extra day of no work. Pioneer Day this year was a crazy blast. The events included: 1) Thursday afternoon: Lene, Sarie, and I went to 7 Peaks for the $6 after 6pm deal. It was awesome to just be with the girls. There is extra anxiety with swimsuit wearing when boys are involved. 2) Thursday night: campout in Mona (a little bit South of Santaquin). There were a whole bunch of wardies there at first, but when it came time to sleep (and actually camp), most people went home. Me, Dani, Lene, Michael (Dani's bf), and Seth (Dani's bf's roommate) were the only ones that stayed. Dani and I slept in the back of Dani's Subaru. I don't think I have ever had a more comfortable night's sleep camping in the wilderness. We slept with the hatch open so we could fell the lovely night air and see the stars, but we covered at the same time. It was lovely. 3) Friday morning: WATER FIGHT (see number 3). 4) Friday afternoon: swimming at the Moon pool (apartment complex in our ward) and baptisms at the Mt. Timpanogos Temple. 5) Friday night: Inception. Everyone loves this movie. I thought it was cool, but I definitely had mixed feelings. The whole idea just wasn't exactly moral to me. They were criminals, but somehow not in a good way. And I didn't like the way they messed with people's dreams. I don't know. It just rubbed me the wrong way. It was upsetting. But the movie was fascinating to watch nonetheless. 6) Saturday morning: Days of '47 Parade in SLC. Me, Lynne, Lene, Sarie, and Joey drove down. And we got an AMAZING shady, grassy spot on a little hill at the beginning of the parade. President Uchtdorf was in the parade this year. He waved at me.
(Me, Lene, Joey watching the parade. I have a sleepy eye.)
7) Saturday afternoon: the Farmer's market in SLC. We walked around booths for a while, got lunch, and then I went to visit my cousin, Shawn. He was working the booth for his father-in-law. He gave me delicious cherries. I tried to pay him and he said, "We don't take Potty money here." (he calls me Potty. It's short for "Potter" and "Audi Potty") Then we walked over to the Gateway and did a little shopping. I escaped the place without buying anything- except a present for my darling Elise. 8) Saturday night: Dinner with Stephanie at Terra Mia (I can always use a pure and simple Margarita Pizza), and then a sleepover with Rachelle (see number 5). It was a fantastic weekend. And I was so tired.

3. ...than breaking world records and starring in music videos. So on Saturday, July 23rd, BYU put on a giant water fight in hopes of breaking the world record. With over 120,000 water balloons and about 4,000 people, we broke, but not necessarily smashed, the record. Have you ever been in a giant giant water balloon fight? Being in the middle of the fight is not really a pleasurable experience. It's painful. I don't know why, but the balloons had a hard time popping, and they would just smack into you, and it felt like getting punched. But who cares? It was AWESOME! Mass chaos, people throwing balloons everywhere, all 4,000 people becoming instantly soaked in water. What better way could there possibly be to spend a Friday morning? There isn't one. I was part of the breaking of a world record. To be put in the Guinness Book of World Records. It was way too much fun. And then after, we dance partied it up in our soaking wet, heavy clothes up by the DJ, and along with a large group of people, were selected to be part of the filming of a music video. And up-and-coming artist, Kyle Andrews, was using our water balloon fight for his music video. We stayed an extra hour or so to film another water fight, dance some more, carrying Kyle around on our shoulders, and so on. And THEN, when we were leaving, the DJ chose to put on a song that should be known to everyone and all as art: "Bohemian Rhapsody." Needless to say, we stayed on the field and danced and sang to that lovely song, all the while Lene filmed us, putting our performance in forever lasting memory. My experience at the water fight was complete. Oh, and then they gave us free lunch. Sandwiches and ice cream.

Video Courtesy of KSL.com


(man standing in yellow rain pants: Kyle Andrews. The artist. And I actually really liked his song. It was called "You Make Me Smile" or something like that. It was Jason Mraz/"Hey Soul Sister" style. Kind of a mixing of the two.)
4. ...than Michael Jackson's 2001 album, Invincible. This is a treasure that I recently discovered/have become obsessed with. It fits in nicely with all the Queen craziness. A Michael break is always appreciated. So, the thing that I am trying to figure out, is why I didn't listen to this album like, at all, before? It just blows my mind, because the album is really good. There are a TON of good songs on it. I even have a new Michael favorite: "Speechless." It is pure beauty. I listen to it over and over and over again. I played it for Lene on the way to Mona, and then on the way back she said something that I will always love her for: "Can we listen to that "Speechless" song again?" I was ecstatic. Let's just say that I might enjoy my music more than the average person enjoys theirs. And I constantly try to make others enjoy the same music I do, because let's face it: I talk about it all the time. I casually bring up, say, Queen, in casual conversation with different people at least once a day. I have been known to repeatedly ask: "So, on a scale of 1-10, how much do love Queen? I'm currently at like a 15." Anyway, when Lene requested a recent favorite of mine, I just about peed my pants in excitement. We listened to it repeatedly, and then I tried to expose her to more of my faves. One a related note, Sarie was also in the car on the way to Mona when I exposed "Speechless." She commented, not about that song in particular, that Michael's voice sounded feminine. She told me she didn't want to offend me, but didn't I agree? I didn't know what to say. I really was speechless. Michael's voice is not feminine. It is not masculine, either (well, sometimes it is). It is just Michael, and that is the way he sounds. And no one else sounds like him. I guess when you think about it, he does sound a little feminine sometimes. But really, the thought had never occurred to me because Michael Jackson just sounds the way that Michael Jackson sounds. Isn't that weird?

5. ...than turtle cookies. Rachelle spent the night at my/our old apartment last last weekend. She came to church with me on Sunday, and then after, we decided that to celebrate Christmas in July (it was July 25, and Elise, the magic Christmas elf herself, reminded me to celebrate it) we would make Christmas sugar cookies and then eat all of them. Ourselves. Well, I went into the kitchen to start the process, and Rachelle was sitting in the living room doing... something. And then I suddenly had a brilliant idea. I GASPED very loudly and exclaimed, "I know what we should make instead of Christmas cookies!" (it's not like we had been trying to think of something to make instead or anything) I looked into the living room at Rachelle and she looked up from what she was doing and yelped, "TURTLE COOKIES!" And it was precisely what I had been thinking of. Same brain wave, Rachelle and I. Funny thing is that it had been over two years since we had made turtle cookies. They were a distant memory to both of us, yet they were the first treats that came to mind in such excitement. I love that Rachelle. So we made turtle cookies. We didn't have any cocoa, though, so we used a packet of chocolate pudding powder instead of both cocoa and white sugar. Chocolate flavored sugar. They were delish, but had a bit of a different consistency than usual. We'll have to make them again soon. But use the right ingredients next time.

6. ...than working at the Special Collections. I pretty much choose my own schedule. I get to take days off. I get to read obituaries everyday, which, most of the time is very interesting. I get to look at old stuff. Recently I found a document signed by Brigham Young. I showed it to John, my boss, and he got all excited. He told me that that piece of paper/signature was worth probably 5 or 6 thousand dollars. I am so grateful for my job, even if I complain about going a lot of the time.

7. ...than spending time with cousins that I love. I spend Wednesday through Friday with Dallin, Dustin, Daxton, and Dawson while Dave, Sherry, and Dallas were out of town. I was on little boy cousin babysitting duty, and let me tell you, it was exhausting. And I got really sick of cooking and cleaning up. But I loved the time that I was able to spend with my boys. Look below to experience the adorableness. I didn't get a picture of Dallin. He was too consumed by his xbox 360, which is a whole other story that, frankly, I don't want to get into. I hate video games. And none of the pictures I took of Dustin turned out. That boy has no patience for the camera. He turns his head or refuses to smile. Anyway: below are Daxton and Dawson. Possibly the most adorable 2 boys of ages 8 and 4.

 8. ...than watching Zac Efron play a troubled but very talented sailor who won a sailing scholarship to Stanford. Charlie St. Cloud, ladies. See it. The movie is a B or a C. It's weird. And sometimes cheesy. But Zac is actually a good actor, and he does a very good job. The movie is worth the money if only for Zac and his "handsome, rugged, chiseled, and great" features. Also, I might add that there is nothing better in the world than the student deal at the Wynnsong theater at the Riverwoods in Provo. $5.75 for a movie. That's cheaper than a matinee in St. George.


9. ...than Harry Potter birthday parties. See next post.

10. ...than the unexpectedness of Freddie Mercury. Once again, surprised. He has two solo albums. One is titled, Mr. Bad Guy. WHAT? Coolest album title ever, right? Mr. Bad Guy. That's hilarious. The second one is called Barcelona, and is actually not quite a solo album- he shares it with Montserrat Calballe, a female Spanish operatic soprano. They made a whole. album. together. Question: did anyone expect that? And you know what, it totally works. Here's a small taste: (she comes in at like 1:43)

11. ...than the BYU all-sports pass. Those things are literally my favorite thing about BYU. Actually that might not be true. But I do love them. A lot. I have been counting down to BYU football since basketball season ended in March. I. Am. Excited. And I just bought an all-sports pass. One more year of great BYU sports before I graduate. Wow. That actually sounds awful. Why do people have to graduate from college? Why? Let me say forever.

12. ...than turning down the internship at the Library of Congress in exchange for the awesome summer that I have had in Provo. I do not regret that decision. I never have once.

My world in Provo is just such a good place.

5 comments:

dani said...

i am so glad that all of these things happened, but especially #12. love ya auds!

Moe said...

What a fun 24th weekend! You are crazy and I love it!

eliseila said...

you forgot one thing... ME! Ya know why? Cuz I am Molly Singer and there is nobody in the world better than me.

Also, I want to comment on everything, so I'll be callin ya cuz it'll take too long. Plus, they're secret comments. Except this one. I WANT MY PRESENT.
that's all.
oh, and I love you:)

eliseila said...

Also, I'M MOVING UP THERE IN 14 DAYS!!

amy said...

i am loving all the writing you're doing! i agree abotu Charlie St. the movie--not that good. Zac = perfection.