Sunday, May 30, 2010

Robert Downey Jr.

So this man has had a little bit of a sketchy past. Lots of drug problems. Eek. But I'm totally hooked. He is just such a great actor. And so funny. And good looking in an unusual sort of way. Or the usual sort. Whatever. He's attractive.

Ben Stiller, quoted in 2008:
Yes, Downey is Iron Man, but he really is Actor Man.[...]In the realm where box office is irrelevant and talent is king, the realm that actually means something, he has always ruled, and finally this summer he gets to have his cake and let us eat him up all the way to the multiplex, where his mastery is in full effect.
(bolding mine)

I discovered that Lynne is also a big Mr. Downey fan. So now we're fans together, and we, um, like to watch his movies. So far we/I have watched:

Ironman. Yes. Again. 3rd time in a little over a week. Tony Stark is just too fantastic. I'm just way too excited that Tony will be making an appearance in at least two more movies: Ironman 3, and The Avengers.

Ironman 2. Same Tony Stark goodness.

Only You. He plays a shoe salesman. And the eventual lover of a woman searching for her soul-mate. It's set in Italy. They run around the city together. It's adorable. And he loves her so much, even though he doesn't know her, which is weird, but it happens all the time in movies, so oh well.

Sherlock Holmes. Oh Sherlock, you are so witty and clever and entertaining. Please keep solving mysteries so I can watch you do it.

Heart and Souls. I want to watch this movie every day of my life from this point on. It was so cute and sweet and hilariously awkward. It's has an unusual plot, and the romance is just a side-story. But I was smiling the entire time, so much so that my cheeks hurt, and when it ended, I wanted to start it over.

Soapdish. This was funny, but I could do without it. Mr. Downey was great, but I do not particularly enjoy the shriek of Sally Field. In fact, if I never saw her in a movie again, I would have a very happy life.

Chances Are...this is not worth watching. I have learned, through this Robert Downey, Jr. movie watching that old movies can be really weird. Think same awkwardness of 17 Again, but there's a body switch kind of a thing, and the younger boy actually ends up with the daughter. It. is. weird.

Next on the docket: "Chaplin" (he was nominated for best actor for this one), "Soloist," "Good Night and Good Luck," and the edited version of "Kiss Kiss Bang Bang." 

PS, I know he's kind of old. But so is Brad Pitt. Ha.

2 comments:

Calista said...

I LOVE HIM TOO!!! I heard that The Soloist was slow, but let me know, because if he is any good in it I'm watching it.

And at the Grammy's in January he was the announcer for Jamie Fox's song, and his intro was and over-the-top "I'm all that" Tony Stark kind of intro, and when the camera went to Robert Downey Jr. he simply said "Thank [goodness] I'm here." It was hilarious!!!

Anyway, I also love Sherlock Holmes. Him and Jude Law are totally fantastic.

Calista said...

AND doesn't Gynneth Paltrow look gorgeous in Iron Man? She's had two kids and can still pull off the slinky dresses like a pro! She is in my top three most beautiful women in the world list.