Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Heaven in Beach Form

I mentioned in the last post that I had the plague. Well, really, I was just very sick for a few days. I seriously don't ever remember feeling sicker in my whole life. It was really bad. I missed work on Thursday, missed class on Friday, went to the beach on Saturday, missed church on Sunday, and then missed work on Monday. It was a long, horrible drawn out process, with a little dash of paradise in the middle called: THE BEACH.

We rented a car that Saturday morning and left for Ocean City, Maryland at around 8am. It was about a 4 hour drive to the beach, so we arrived around noon. Ocean City is kind of like an island (I'm not actually sure if it is or not), and it has one side of beautiful, white, sandy beach, and a boardwalk with fun shops, food places, arcades, and game areas, and then the rest of is filled with houses and businesses. But it was lovely. It was the perfect day for the beach- it was actually sunny. Rain didn't even threaten. And it was warm, and the waves were good, and the colorful umbrellas were so pretty in the sand! The only hitch was my plague. I actually felt really good that day comparatively. The problem was that somehow I had spread my disease to Cameron, and he was miserable, and I felt really bad because I KNOW what it is like to have that plague! It's really bad!!! He was in the second day of the illness, and I was in the third. It was actually kind of funny throughout our misery, because he followed my symptoms exactly a day behind. So, everyday he would ask me how I felt so that he would know what to expect the next morning! Side note: The next day, his roommate, Adam, got sick too. He didn't follow our pattern exactly, but we turned our horrible plague into a comedic thing and we sort of became lepers of the Barlow Center. The others referred to us as the trio of death. We said we were three musketeers or amigos or something that sounded less morbid, but it was the trio of death that stuck, and we were practically quarantined. It was sad, but funny.

So anyway, BEACH! It was perfect. I laid out in the sun, which is one of my all-time favorite things to do, swam in the waves, at ice cream, buried Adam in the sand, relaxed, recuperated, got rid of my farmer's tan, etc. It was just wonderful to be in the sun. Sure, we have sun in D.C., but it is too often hidden by clouds and rain and nasty humidity that I hate. And I love the sun. That's why I love St. George. Because I love hot and I love sun.

SO PICTURES!!!

Me and Eric on the boardwalk with our ice cream cones. YUMMY!!
Me and Amanda
The master sculptors with their work of art... So, it actually took a little convincing to get Adam to let us bury him in the sand, but I think he was glad he did. We made him look AWESOME!! Well, the awesomeness was Erik's part. He was the artist. He sculpted the fine muscles. Genevieve contributed the power belt, and Amanda, Kate, and I worked on the fin. Mostly Kate and me dug the hole, and that took A LOT of energy. Especially for someone just getting over the plague! But we did it, and it was SO FUNNY!!

Okay, last funny thing, and then I'm done. So, at one point, I went out into the water, but before I left, I pawned my sunglasses off onto Ryan. He put them on and wore them the rest of the day. I didn't want to take them back, because he looked so good in them! Some people said he looked like Tom Cruise in some movie, but I went more in the direction of a young JFK. Tell me what you think. I know it's a teensy bit creepy, but he and I are good friends, so I don't think that he would mind that I zoomed in on him in a picture and posted it on my blog. I just thought it was so funny!!! And even funnier, he went out and bought a pair just like them! Now we are sunglasses twinners, but he looks way better in them.

I was very tired by the end of the day, and I slept the majority of the ride home. So nice. Going to the beach probably extended my illness a bit because I wore myself out, but it was so worth it!! The End!!

3 comments:

Moe said...

I'm sorry you were so sick!! Poor girl! the beach looked way fun though! Now you've been seen both oceans. That's awesome! I'm jealous of all your travelings! Love ya!

Audrey said...

I'm so glad you got to go to the beach! I have been CRAVING the beach lately. And the sun. And the heat. I think this winter is going to be a hard one because I've been cooped up inside since last December when it got cold! ARGH! I'm sorry you were sick.. that's not fun. Was it the piggy flu? :)

paul & ashlee said...

i know what it is like to be sick, but want to participate in life...i would have done the same thing, and being sick the next day would have been worth it....way worth it. keep up the great posts. they make my day!
-ash